[Moon-Net] Licensing and Copyrights in WSJT-X and related programs #Q65

Joe Taylor joe at princeton.edu
Sat Mar 13 22:52:32 CET 2021

This message is addressed to Хрисимир Христов (Christo Hristov), LZ2HV,
the author of software program MSHV.

I am also copying the message to several relevant public forums.  Users
of WSJT-X and MSHV should be aware of the repeated and flagrant misuse
of WSJT-X source code in MSHV, contrary to our explicit and repeated
requests.

Dear Christo,

1. *June 17, 2016:*   I sent you a long email about licensing and
copyright terms for use of our software WSJT-X its sister programs.

My email included these lines:

"[Y]ou should *NOT* use, adapt, or publish any modes or protocols found
only in unreleased versions of our programs.  Please remove JTMSK and
MSK144 from from your program, and explain to your users the reasons I
have explained above."

2. *September 22, 2017:*  I sent you another long email about your
repeated violations of our license and copyright terms.  Here are a few
lines from that email:

"Once again it seems you have been copying and translating our source
code for a new protocol before even we -- the authors of the FT8
protocol and the algorithms for its encoding, decoding, and message
sequencing -- have made a full general-availability release of our
software."