[Moon-Net] Coming release of WSJT-X 2.5.0-rc2 and MAP65 3.0-rc2

Tomasz Salwach tomasz at salwach.pl
Thu Jun 24 01:01:28 CEST 2021

Hi Joe!

I've been using WSJT 2.4.0 for rainscatter. JT4 & Q65.

Problems encountered:

- autosequence is not reliable (sometimes it does not work) and I'm not
sure this is not general (on any mode).
You should look at JTDX code how it's done as it is almost perfect there.

- there are false decodes - same message gets decoded twice.

For example correct one decoded was R-10 message and just below it was
decoded wrong as CQ message.

- after playing a lot with different modes, program stopped decoding
messages. Same strength signals were decoded after restart.

- 15 second Q65 is suspected to  work much worse than 30s. Worse than
expected. Maybe conditions changed...we didn't test it long.

We need fast rainscatter mode. You recommend 60D. In my opinion 30D is
better here. It's not EME, we're in hurry :)

With a choice Q65 60D or JT4G for rainscatter I would prefer JT4.

  JT4 is very reliable. Our main problem on 10Ghz with these modes is
they are so wide that there is not a big tolerance on frequency - if
signals are visible on waterfall - there is no problem to set it right
(and both modes work, but JT4 is much more tolerant for drift). So Q65
has no advantage here if we cannot set frequency right "blindly"...and
on 10Ghz it is quite problematic even when there are good OCXOs on both
sides. But 60s for a single message is much to slow.
Something 15s 4FSK 1500Hz wide would be perfect.

It is a dream to work random on rainscatter. But we must agree on one
standard, one frequency...same as with FT8 on VHF today.

Thanks for new toys! 73!

Tom SQ6QV