[Moon-Net] Installing in-ground pole mast for dish

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Sun Apr 25 19:58:16 CEST 2021

Les,

In late 80's -early 90's I put up about 50 dishes
for Sat-TV.  Most were 10-foot mesh, a couple 12-foot.

Those accepted 3.5-inch ID black pipe (paint with
Rustoleum Paint if you don't want it to
rust).  Since you need to use a smaller diameter
it would not hurt to use sched-80 black pipe to
ensure no bending under wind load.  <I am
mounting my 1.8m dish on a ten-foot section of
Rohn-25 set in a 3x3x3 cube of concrete (with
tower bottom sunk into the concrete).  I want the
dish support very rigid for use on 3cm-eme>

Since they were larger than your dish, I used
eight-foot long pipes set into 18-inch diameter
concrete forms set 3-4 feet deep.  Commercial
name of the forms is "Sonotube".  Easy to make
the hole with a clam-shell post hole digger by
hand.  18x48 inch hole is 12,215 cu-inch or 7
cu-ft (I figured about 1/3 cu-yard to be
safe).  A few wheel barrows of sack-crete will
fill the hole.  I made my own concrete with
Portland cement, 6-60 lb sacks of sand and 8
sacks of 3/4 inch rock.  But 90 lb sack of
Portland is way more than needed for a single
dish hole, so the pre-mixed sack-crete is a lot
easier.  Let pole set for 48-hours before hanging
the dish (I used to cheat and only allow
24-hours, but I was running a business so
couldn't sit on my hands for an extra day).

I drilled two holes near the bottom of the pipe
as right angles and used a short piece of rebar
(such that the ends would not touch the
sonotube.  Without them dish could easily break
free and rotate.  No failures over 5-years of doing this.

73, Ed
Delivered Sun-Slew drive motor and tee-bar
(2.5-inch ID sched-80 pipe welded to 4-foot 3x3
steel pipe) to my welder who is fabricating my
new dish mount for the 4.9m dish.  Est. install of dish in July.