[Moon-Net] coaxial cable + antenna rotator

John Regnault john.regnault at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 21 13:09:32 CEST 2021

Hi Dick,

Ecoflex is bad news around rotators as is H100, LMR400 and many other types
of semi-air spaced cable.

I have used Comscope/Andrews FSJ4-50B for many years in a simple loop
arrangement on TX. I have a failure, either inner or outer conductor
fracturing due to work hardening in this loop every couple of years! I
expect that to happen and hold replacement cables. See the old picture of an
EME array on my QRZ.com page.

I use M&P Ultraflex 10 on RX with no issues.

However, last year it was explained to me that a simple loop put excessive
twisting stress on the cable and that a spiral was what was used in
professional applications.

They used a Comscope(Andrews)  3m long FSJ4-50B patch lead. This is almost
identical to SCF12-50

Another amateur's system is shown in the attached picture. Set at fully
wound to be 2.5 turns of 300mm diameter

When fully unwound this opens out to 1.5 turns around 450mm diameter.

I have not yet seem a failure with this system but after only 6 months it is
early days.

73

John G4SWX