[Moon-Net] 6m EME DXpeditions to Austral and Marquesas Islands in French Polynesia

Lance Collister w7gj at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 8 22:34:26 CEST 2021

We have all been frustrated by the delays caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, and how it
has disrupted travel worldwide. Now that Air Tahiti has published its flight schedule
for next fall, I have changed my flight and lodging reservations to provide extended
stays in both DXCC. Now the operations in both DXCC include very favorable days for
6m EME, as well as common moon windows with virtually all active 6m EME operators all
over the world. I am looking forward to providing the first activations of both the
Austral Islands and the Marquesas Islands on 6m EME. Given the large growth in the
number of stations active on 6m EME, and the development of the new Q65 software, I
am very excited to see how many stations I can work! Please just remember to spread
out when you call ;-)

Of course, there is always the possibility that some of the flights and connections
along the way will be changed and the operating schedule will not be able to proceed
as planned. However, assuming that the flights will remain as booked, and that the
current Covid-19 quarantine requirements will be lifted by October, the updated
planned travel and operating schedules for both DXCC are on my web pages at:

http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj/Austral%20Islands%202020.htm

and

http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj/Marquesas%202020.htm

I still have to negotiate some solution to the excess baggage problem, since they
don't guarantee transportation of so much extra luggage along with me on my flights.
However that is something to deal with as the time for departure gets closer...

As you can see on the above web pages, I will be planning on using Q65-60A for all my
6m EME operations. Please familiarize yourself with this new mode; links are on the
above web pages. If you have never tried 6m EME before, you have 6 months to upgrade
your station and become familiar with working 6m EME ;-)

If a station is unable to produce a stable enough signal for Q65-60A, we may be able
to try JT65A or Q65-60B as required, but please do your best to make your transmitter
stable enough for Q65 and insure that your computer clock is accurate to within a
second. I hope to be able to have at least occasional access to the internet in both
DXCC.  Because both DXCC are located in the TEP Zone, I also am expecting to be able
to work a number of stations using FT8 and/or Q65-30C mode via ionospheric propagation.

Rimatara is a solo 6m-only operation and the callsign will be FO/W7GJ. If you have
any questions that are not covered in the above web pages, or you are anticipating a
problem contacting me during the posted operating schedule, please let me know.

I will be joined by KB7Q for at least part of the Hiva Oa operation, and he will be
activating the Marquesas for the first time on 2m EME. We will both be using the
TX7MB callsign from that DXCC. If you have specific questions about KB7Q's operation,
please contact him directly; I am sure he will be announcing details of his plans as
we get closer to October.

As you can imagine, this month-long DXpedition has become even more expensive than
originally planned. Any donations are very much appreciated ;-) My Pay Pal account is
my email address and my mailing address is shown below (and on QRZ.COM). Thanks in
advance for your support and for your contacts!

GL and VY 73, Lance

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K, KH8/W7GJ, V6M, T8GJ, VK9CGJ, VK9XGJ, C21GJ, CP1GJ, S79GJ, FO/W7GJ, TX7MB)
P.O. Box 73

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the new Magic Band EME
page (above)!

View/Reply Online (#165): https://groups.io/g/MagicEME/message/165
Group Owner: MagicEME+owner at groups.io