[Moon-Net] Q65 in MAP65

Lance Collister w7gj at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 8 22:33:21 CEST 2021

WOW! This sounds GREAT! Thanks so much, Joe!

GL and VY 73, Lance

On 4/8/2021 20:25:21, Joe Taylor via Moon-net wrote:
> Many of you have been using WSJT-X 2.4.0-rc4 to test the new mode Q65 on the EME
> path.  Especially on the bands 144, 432, and 1296 MHz, we know that some users
> would like also to be able to use MAP65 for Q65.  Here's a brief update on the
> development status of Q65 in MAP65.
>
> I have now used my development version of MAP65 v2.9.0 to run through 46 one-minute
> recordings (saved *.tf2 files) obtained by Conrad, PA5Y, on February 20.  There was
> plenty of 144 MHz EME activity on this day, including many signals in submodes
> JT65B and Q65-60A.  This test version of MAP65 2.9.0 decodes essentially all
> signals visible on the waterfall, in both modes.  The decodes include 161 Q6560A
> transmissions and 138 JT65B transmissions. (For JT65 this count omits the shorthand
> messages RO, RRR, and 73.) The attached file Decodes_at_PA5Y.txt was extracted from
> the file map65_rx.log produced from Conrad's files.
>
> A good feeling for the behavior of Q65 in the present MAP65 2.9.0 can be obtained
> from the following document that describes the use QRA64 as implemented in MAP65
> v2.7 and v2.8.
>
> https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/MAP65_Quick_Start.pdf
>
> Except for the comments about "Sync Markers", you can pretty much replace "QRA64"
> with "Q65-60A" everywhere in this brief write-up, and get a feeling for how Q65
> works in this early version of MAP65 2.9.0.
>
> You might also want to look at the MAP65 User's Guide:
>
> https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/MAP65_Users_Guide.pdf
>
> Further work remains to be done on MAP65 v2.9.0, but we hope to be able to make a
> test version available to interested testers in the near future.
>
> In the longer term, we are exploring possible ways to bring MAP65 capabilities
> including wide bandwidths and polarization diversity into WSJT-X.
>
>     -- 73, Joe, K1JT

Lance Collister, W7GJ(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K, KH8/W7GJ, V6M, T8GJ, VK9CGJ, VK9XGJ, C21GJ, CP1GJ, S79GJ, TX7MB)
P.O. Box 73
Frenchtown, MT   59834-0073
USA
TEL: (406) 626-5728
QTH: DN27ub
Skype: lanceW7GJ
2m DXCC #11 - 6m DXCC #815 - FFMA #7

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!