[Moon-Net] [Sbms] SBMS position on the weak signal portion of the to be re-arranged 3.4 GHz amateur band in the U.S.

w6dl at dlaag.com w6dl at dlaag.com
Wed Apr 7 05:10:43 CEST 2021

Hello Kent and also the Ubiquity community,

Courtney and I had a recent discussion with the ARDEN group here in Southern California.  They are claiming that they can program the radio's frequency anywhere in the band and that there are hardware filters preventing deployment into the lower part of the band.  It might be beneficial for the Ubiquity community to share technology and take this to a logical conclusion.

As for 3,498.100 vs 3,400.100, I think having the ability to receive both allows for split frequency EME contacts with countries that can't go above 3,400.000 MHz.  It is my understanding that both frequencies are in use worldwide depending where you live.  Using 3,400.100 for terrestrial work in the US is not a problem.  We need somewhere to place the propagation beacons so that is another aspect of the discussion.

I just re-read what I wrote...  Did I say split frequency operation on microwave?  It's hard enough for me to get the one VFO on the correct frequency!  Time to go read the manual...  On line...  On my smartphone...  With magnifying glasses...

Take care,
Dave, W6DL