[Moon-Net] metric bolts for RAK ... (etc.)

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Mon Apr 5 18:26:48 CEST 2021

After several replies to my comment that there were no nuts welded on
the RAK, I went to the garage where my 2m-eme RAK lies.  It has nuts
welded, so I would guess I am mistaken in that observation, made
below.  In fact that jogged my memory why adding a stop nut did not
allow enough bolt thread to tighten on the mast (because there is
already a nut and thickness of the upper pipe housing).

Its just 8am here in AK so too early to call my hardware supplier (AK
Bolt & Chain) if they stock 50mm long M10 bolts and nuts.  If not
they can probably order them for me, so thanks to several who offered
to ship them to me.

Also winds are calm this morning and I was able to rotate the array
(enough grip on the mast apparently for that).  But expect antennas
will be subject windmilling any time there is wind (so array not
usable on windy days).  But this may allow me a few weeks for spring
to arrive in AK before attempting repair (new bolts, nuts, lock-tite,
and new shear bolt).

In meantime, I hope to get a boom truck to pick up the 50-foot 2m-eme
tower and lay it down on the ground.  When snow melts, I will be able
to remove bottom 20-foot of the tower and use upper 30-foot.  Base in
concrete appears bent so not sure if can be straightened or it will
require pouring a new base for the shorter tower.  Plan is to put up
one ten foot section and assemble 4x array temporally clamped to the
tower, then add 20-foot  more of tower and raise array to top using a
boom truck.  Expectations this will take the month of May to accomplish.

73, Ed - KL7UW
Re-install of my 4.9m dish will likely be done after the 2m-eme
system restored; waiting on welder to build new base tower.
6m Harris kw amp faulted last time I tried loading it; so will look
into that (50v-50A PS shut down at 20A, so might be the PS??).

73, Ed - KL7UW
   http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:
   dubususa at gmail.com