[Moon-Net] metric bolts for RAK

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Mon Apr 5 00:25:14 CEST 2021

Don,

Had several replies so will answer all here:

Sorry Alfa-Spid RAK nor Alpha-Spid (got it)

The RAK has just a round housing (call it a pipe).  No nuts welded to
it.  Thread is only the depth of the pipe (maybe 1/8 inch or metric
equivalent).

Therefore was concerned that over tightening would strip out the thread.

Mast is what we call black-pipe; mild steel.  1.25inch I.D.
schedule-80.  Used same on my other antennas with no bends or failures.

I have learned thru experience not to trust pipe bolts from slipping
so have been using a 5/16-inch bolt thru rotator pipe and mast to
help hold the pipe but small enough to shear if something binds
up.  Well the rotator was installed in Sept. 2020 (six months ago).

I did maintenance on antennas and cables last weekend and found at
least five loose set bolts.  Also the head of the 5/16 inch bolt had
been sheared off and weight of the array caused mast to drop slightly
(nut end of shear bolt was intact and bolt had bent downward making
removal impossible).  So I re-tightened the set bolts figuring that
would be OK for a couple months as I had plans to do more work in
warmer wx (still winter here).

This was a Sunday and only Home Depot open.  The good bolt outlet is
closed weekends.  Rented Man-lift returned on Monday morning.  So
unlikely to find eight longer metric bolts on Sunday.

Guess I could have used lock-tight (never occurred to me as other
rotators never had this issue).  I use an identical RAK on my 2m-eme
system and it free-fell 50-feet in a high wind storm yet rotator was
secure and undamaged; set bolts tight.

Well I will use lock nuts and longer M10 bolts, plus lock-tight.  I
will replace shear bolt with at least 3/8 inch diameter.

6m-eme array is very large:  25-foot long cross boom with 32-foot
long yagi booms.  That catches a lot of wind force.
Rotator may still turn the array in calm wx (??), but will require re
calibration, frequently.  Maybe, I  can delay until May wx when
easier to work without winter coats/gloves.  I have to replace my
elevation actuator and repair my digital encoder (which will require
dismantling).  Actuator arm is 40-inch long and weighs probably
35-lbs or more; awkward to handle at 45-feet.  So I had planned to
rent the man-lift for this work.

73, Ed

73, Ed - KL7UW
   http://www.kl7uw.com