[Moon-Net] Some reference wanted

DW Harms (Dick) qtc at kpnmail.nl
Mon Sep 30 09:19:35 CEST 2019

Hi Franz,

Wellcome amongst the crowd of smaller 23 cm stations! Your result is not too bad at all, but are those figures from JT65c or WSJT-X. They differ...
Any way there is certainly room for some advices.

1. Check the illumination of your dish. You can simply do that by measuring sunnoise and move a 40x40 mm alu plate along the edge of the dish. If you see variations in noiselevel, you are overilluminating. If not, you could be underilluminating...

2. For best illumination I suggest a septum feed such as VE4MA, RA3AQ or OK1DFC.
The advantage is that you have seperated TX and RX entries. The LNA should be mounted AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE on the feed, with a good relay in between to increase isolation. The 20-25 dB of the septum is not enough to protect against your QRO hi!

3. Unlike on 2m, a noise figure of below 0,3 dB is strongly needed. 33 dB gain is nice to overcome cable losses (see 4...) but the NF is more important.

4. Get rid of the Ecoflex 15 cable soon as posdible! I have never seen worse cable losses than on this type of cable. Recently I measured 7(!) dB loss on 23 cm, in my 5 m long TX cable... no wonder my own echoes were weaker than normal hi! So, use 10mm Cellflex (like I do now) or better.

5. Trees are nice, but for EME on 23 they are our enemies. Wet leaves attennuate in particular on the RX side, to my surpise not much on TX!
Any way, clear all leaves in the path between your dish and the moon!
I love autumn/winter hi!

6. Last advice is to download EME-CALC, made by VK3UM and still being maintained by his friends (thanks guys!!).
With this software you can check what sunnoise you can expect given the parameters of your station.

Looking forward to our first 23cm QSO Franz. With 100W in a 2 meter dish it should be easy. I worked smaller stations!

73, Dick PA2DW

RIG:  K3, TR1296H, all GPSDO locked, 2.4 m dish, 500W at feed, OK1DFC feed with choke, LNA G4DDK