[Moon-Net] ARRL EME contest

Bob Atkins ka1gt at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 24 19:56:12 CEST 2019

John

You make a lot of interesting and valid points. I don't particularly like contests, but I do like activity!  I'd be perfectly happy with designated international activity weekends. I'd put just as much effort into getting on the air. With a contest and a winner, the station with the biggest antenna and most power will probably win (assuming they can stay awake long enough). In terms of absolute winners, it's probably a competition between a dozen "big guns". The rest of us are not trying to win anything. The only advantage of a contest over an activity period is that for some reason it probably encourages more activity. There are those who like competion and just wouldn't bother with an activity weekend.

The ARRL contest is broken up into sections though. You can "compete" in the CW only section if you want competition. You can "compete" on a single band/ You can be a single op or multi op stations. There's no "QRP" category (as there is in the ARI contest), but then you run into the problem of defining QRP. The limit would be having so many categories that everybody would "win" one of them!

I can understand QST not running many feature articles on EME. I don't know what percentage of the membership is on EME or is likely to get on EME, but I suspect it's probably less than 1% of those interested in HF antennas. It's also not new or as newsworthy as it was back when the first amateur EME contacts were being made. Perhaps there coverage in QEX? I don't know since I don't subscribe to it.

Probably, if you want to win an EME contest, the best way would first be to move to Europe! Nothing to do with rules or start times. They may start 6 hours ahead of us, but they also finish 6 hours after we do. It's just that there's far more activity in Europe then there is here. You are right that after the moon sets in Europe you might as well get some sleep until the VK/JA window opens. I'm not sure why activity is greater in Europe. It may have something to do with population density, so if you get on the higher bands you'll have someone to work on tropo.  You can also find a lot of beacons. Then you move on to EME. Where I am (Northern Maine coast, and in a hole in the ground surrounded by mountains), EME is just about the only way to work anybody!

As for digital, it it wasn't for digital modes you'd have even fewer stations to work. Digital opens up EME to those who simply do not have the resources to put up a stations capable of making more than a few CW contacts with the "big gun" stations. Digital is what keeps EME alive and brings new stations on the air. I can't think of anyone I know who has built an EME station in the last 10(?) years only to operate on CW. Building a state of the art digital station is not easy and neither is working very weak stations using digital modes. In some ways CW is technically much easier. I worked 70cm EME back around 1980. No computers involved at all (except for mainframe printouts of the moon's position!). The whole system was much simpler than what I'm using today.

I think internet "spotting" is also a very positive thing. It increases activity. In essence it's no different than 40 years ago. Most EME contacts were mode via skeds, whether setup over an HF link, by snail mail, by telephone of other means available at the time. As long as the contact is made via EME, with all required exchanges, I don't think it matters what information is exchanged AFTER the EME QSO has taken place. Could people cheat? I guess so, but if people want to cheat they will find a way. I'm for anything that increases activity and allows small stations to work each other.

All EME contests are international, so you have the Dubus contest, the ARI contest and others if you want to play be different rules. I'm not saying the ARRL contest is perfect, but if you want a contest broken down by mode, band, power, internet restrictions etc., with variable multipliers for different modes and different bands (and number of bands worked), extra ppoints for working Italian stations etc., the ARI EME contest is on this weekend! I will be participating on 23cm. I'm not entering the contest, just looking for activity and giving points to those who are in the contest to win! (see http://www.eme2008.org/ari-eme/Trophy%202019%20rules.pdf)

73
Bob, KA1GT