[Moon-Net] [Moon] ARRL contest Microwave leg.

Don Hawbaker donhawbaker at outlook.com
Tue Sep 24 04:14:53 CEST 2019

So how do we get some changes made?  Has anybody put together a list?  Who’s in charge of this activity?  In what forum would it be presented?  Unfortunately EME and Microwave seem pretty low on the priority list for the powers that be.  How do we get it on the agenda?  What agenda?  Can we appoint a working group?

Changing bands can be difficult depending on how your station is put together.  I cannot do it easily.  It’s not like throwing the bandswitch and going from 40 meters to 20 meters.  My 13 cm box is mounted on the counterweight arms and weighs about 90 pounds.  Not easy to move.  And then there are a lot of connections which must be made or else you blow out the preamp.  And then it would be good to check the sun noise to make sure the feed horn is peaked and to check your IF drive level.  A lot of things have to work just right, unless you are on two meters.  I’ve never operated there, but it seems a lot easier than the higher bands, but those lower bands are grouped in with 1296.  Why?  If you want to give extra points for CW, then extra points for higher bands seems logical.

But don’t get me started on CW.  What is this, 2019 or 1919?  Bring back sparkgap?  Young hams are not going to be attracted to such old fashioned technology.  Hell it would not even be attractive to old hams.  We are no longer novices with restricted operating privileges.  We’ve passed the test and moved on.  If you want more activity, where is it going to come from?  CW is a non starter, especially with libration.  The biggest boast in recent activity is FT-8, not CW.  I can work it, but why would I want to?  I’ve got a computer to help me do the work.  And especially at 3 AM, I can barely see the log sheet let alone try to unscramble garbled CW.  It’s not fun.  It’s work.  Hard work.  This is supposed to be a fun hobby.

Why are there two weekends for the lower bands?  As has been noted, I’ve already worked most everybody on the first weekend, but then I only go down to 1296.  I guess if you had lower bands, you could divide time between them.  But I can’t, so now the guys with the most money, the bigger systems, and the better operating locations get the bigger scores.  It has nothing to do with hard work, skill, or technical expertise.

Seems to me there are things that could be discussed.  WA3RGQ