[Moon-Net] [Moon] ARRL contest Microwave leg.

Mike KL6M melum at alaska.net
Mon Sep 23 23:24:10 CEST 2019

There is a 'perceived' lack of activity on the ARRL Microwave segment.  I say perceived because I believe there were MANY stations active but the problem is they were on many different bands.  I personally only operated 13cm and 9cm.  I love the 6m band but there was no way I was going to change feeds at 4AM local in pitch dark and pouring rain.

The format of the ARRL EME contests is seriously flawed and needs to be modified? modernized? Renovated?  Even the two weekends of 50 MHz to 1296MHz is flawed.  If you operate 1296 both weekends, the second weekend is full of stations you already worked so you only pick up a mere additional few and spend most of your time trying to decide if you already worked that station.

The other problem I have with ARRL EME is digital vs CW modes.  I see on the 'logger' many stations who are CW capable but 'hang' out on the logger and JT modes, while CW is slowly dying.  This is pathetic.  A simple solution is to give JT contacts 1 point and CW 3 points (or even 2 points) which I believe would likely incentivize operation on BOTH modes.

It seems every time I present any of these ideas to ARRL they fall on deaf ears.  Any ideas?

LONG LIVE DUBUS.

73
Mike, KL6M BP51dc
http://kl6m.com/