[Moon-Net] JT4 (non) Decode confusion

Bob Atkins ka1gt at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 20 07:47:38 CEST 2019

I'm new to JT4. Can anyone interpret the following 10Ghz deport sequence?

0428 -36 2.1 608 $#

0429**** 3.5 1118 $#

0430 -39 2.6 932 $#

0431**** 2.9 1437 $*

0432 -36 0.9 1203 $#

0433**** 2.8 1083 $*

0434 -39 -0.1 613 $*

0435**** 2.9 1192 $#

0436 -43 -0.0 1687 $

0437**** 2.8 1372 $*

0438 -43 1.7 1127 $#​

I'm guessing that this indicates that a signal was detected during the 2nd (odd) periods designated by "****"? However it wasn't decoded. Does JT4 give a "****" report when there is a signal, but no decode, rather than a signal strength? The DTs for the "****" periods look reasonable for a valid signal.

Some of the **** periods end in $* and others in $#, but that also applies to the periods that report a -3x or -4x signal strength with no ****. The $ indicates JT4 but the * and # are supposed to indicate normal and alternative sync (whatever "alternate sync" is) so it seems to suggest it was getting sync during the even periods (except for 0436) when I don't think there was any signal.. I don't quite understand this.

Bob, KA1GT