[Moon-Net] 23cM's Future

Bob Atkins ka1gt at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 17 01:47:40 CEST 2019

The only reason not to do to a bigger dish (other than the obvious cost and complexity) would be fear of regulatory interference with 1296, not RF interference from Galileo satellites using E6 mode which in principle has up to a 40MHz bandwidth extending up to 1300 MHz). Even if it did raise the noise floor at 1296 (unlikely), the effect would be small and not last long as the offending satellite and the moon moved around their orbits.

No band is 100% safe from regulatory interference, especially not in the VHF/UHF/Microwave region. It seems pretty unlikely that the USA will lose access to 1296 any time in the near future. Slightly more of a issue in Europe - which could be a problem for the US since most of the activity on 1296 comes out of europe! I think the current proposal is to discuss the issue in 2023 (WARC23), so nothing should happen before then.

If I was thinking of up a bigger dish for 1296 (especially one significantly bigger than 14ft), I think Galileo would be pretty low on my list of reasons not to do it!

73
Bob, KA1GT