[Moon-Net] SUN NOISE ON 144MHZ

Peter Sumner vk8zlx at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 01:40:33 CEST 2019

Hello Serge,
 if you have a small hand held GPS (like the very cheap GARMIN I have here)
you can set a way point at the bottom of your tower then walk to your most
prominent landmark, hill, light pole tree in a property near you and then
set another way point on the GPS, now the further away the reference point
is, the more accurate the final angle value you will get.

While at the land mark in the GPS select 'navigate to way point' and select
the one you created for your tower and you will have a true north angle you
can then use some math to reverse it to be the azimuth from your tower to
the location.

I now realize while writing this I could have walked back to my tower and
did the opposite and selected the navigate to way point and select the
remote point but hey that's too easy : -)

Of course this does not help with elevation calibration but works a treat
the get the AZ rotator calibrated.

Regards,
Peter, vk5pj