[Moon-Net] FunCube frequency control, MAP65 and 10Ghz EME Rx.

Bob Atkins ka1gt at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 9 21:25:18 CEST 2019

Here's what I want to do:  Compensate for doppler shift when receiving 10Ghz EME signals using MAP65 and a Funcube Pro +

My RX system works fine and I can see, for example, a strong 10 Ghz EME signal from DL0SHF using MAP65 with a FunCube Pro+. However, though the QRA64 signals is clear and even the tones are visible, it won't decode because of the high rate of doppler shift at 10Ghz.  MAP65 works fine at 432 and 1296 to decode signals because it can cope with the low(er) rate of doppler shift at the lower frequencies.

So what I need to do is control the frequency of the FunCube pro+ to compensate for Doppler. I have a program I wrote to do this that I use with my main 1296 EME system. It reads the WSJT azel.dat file and then issues CAT commands to my FT-897 to track doppler in various different ways. What I'd like to do is modify the software slightly so it talks to the FunCube pro+ to set the frequency instead of the FT-897.

There are a couple of issues I'm not clear about. The first is, of course, how do you send frequency commands via the USB link to the FunCube Pro+?  The second is how do you do this when MAP65 is simultaneously listening to the 90Khz wide audio from the FunCube over the same USB link?  There's only one USB interface on the FunCube. This is clearly possible because you can send frequency commands from a FunCube Pro+ control program (like FCHID at .002.exe) while MAP65 is running and listening to the FunCube.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has ever tried to do this (i.e. enable doppler shift compensation on MAP65), or has any ideas about the protocols involved?  MAP65 doesn't even attempt to talk with the the FunCube as far as I can tell. All it does is launch the control program which then does any control. You can launch it from outside MAP65 just as easily.

Maybe I need to talk with the FunCube groups about this but I thought I'd try here first in case anyone had tried this.

Bob, KA1GT