[Moon-Net] Latest News On the Current 2 m Band Allocation Discussion

john.regnault at btinternet.com john.regnault at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 30 19:30:14 CEST 2019

Bernd,

Thank you for putting together such an excellent summary of the CEPT issues
concerning the 144MHz band.

When I posted the brief note on the 6th June I had only seen the news from
one of the French amateur radio societies. In the past 20 days international
management of the amateur response to this issue has now moved into high
gear, coordinated by IARU R1.

However as Bernd puts it: "Most importantly, amateur radio should speak with
a single voice only". We are not being helped by floods of 'fake news' on
this issue being put about on social media and on-line petitions many having
descriptions that are factually incorrect! All IARU member societies have
been briefed on a common position and messages for amateur radio. This
message is not helped by the many wrong messages abounding on social media.

There are serious international regulatory issues which might threaten the
50, 144, 1296MHz and upwards amateur bands that we use for EME. IARU
represents amateur radio in the various CEPT forums and ITU and will fight
to maintain the best position it can for amateur radio.

Progress will be slow but I am hopeful that, in the end we will get a good
result.

73

John G4SWX, RSGB VHF Manager