[Moon-Net] RF FET selection for 432 MHZ SSPA

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Wed Nov 30 19:40:20 CET 2016

Ken,

I've built Jim's 150w 1296 LDMOS amp and have a
second one to finish this winter.  Recently I was
offered a 300w Mirage for $350 but decided
against it as I realized the 1200w W6PQL 2m RF
pallet kit was only $480 and that could replace my 8877 (someday).

Having 300-500w for 2m-SSB would make my NC
duties easier as that would ensure a signal any
20w station with a "coat hanger" antenna would
receive 100km north in Anchorage.  Running full
power would equal what I run on eme with the 8877
driven with RFC 3-317 (loafing at 55w).  The
1200w sspa could be located at base of the tower
cutting a lot of transmission line loss (maybe
half my 1.7 dB and only require running LMR-400).

So my question is how much output do you run on
JT65?  Can you comfortably do1200w or what?

I am planning to build the kit but have the LDMOS
installed by Jim on the cu heat spreader and buy
the pre-milled heatsink as I would have to pay for that in any case.

I might build a dual amp for full 1500w with each module run at 750w.

73, Ed - KL7UW
be nice to rid the shack of all that heat and blower noise