[Moon-Net] A few Map65 questions

Ken Arck ken at arcomcontrollers.com
Tue Nov 29 16:59:20 CET 2016

In addition to the other comments, I've been using an
FCD+/Map65/Linrad for a couple of years now. And while the FCD+ will
certainly work directly with Map65, I strongly recommend using Linrad
as the intermediary program as Linrad has much better noise reduction
capabilities than does Map65 and allows for extensive filtering as
needed too. On weak signals (such as EME), Linrad makes quite a
difference "(improvement), at least for me.

I run the following - simultaneously - on a 3.00 gHz, dual core
processor, 64 bit machine running Win10 with 6 gigs of RAM and have
no resource issues.

Linrad
Map65
WSJT10
Spectran
FireFox
TrakBox
LiveCQ
Dual monitors

Ken

At 12:21 AM 11/29/2016, you wrote:

>Bob,
>
>On 29 Nov 2016, at 05:41, Bob Atkins
><<mailto:ka1gt at hotmail.com>ka1gt at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Thinking about adding MAP65 and wondering about a few things:
>>

>>1 - The cheapest and easiest way to do (single polarization) this
>>for under $200?  It looks to me like this would be by using a
>>FunCube Pro+ dongle for around $170. As far as I can tell you can
>>couple this directly (USB) to a Windows PC running MAP65 without
>>needing Linrad or other intermediate software. Does this sound correct?
>

>Yes
>>

>>2 - MAP65 is said to takes up more processor resources than WSJT.
>>Would a quad-core I5-2500 @ 3.3Ghz be fast enough to run a FunCube
>>Pro+ and MAP65 system? I have an older 2-core laptop that struggles
>>when running SDR software with a cheap SDR dongle, but that machine
>>is about 6x slower than the desktop I use for radio applications.
>>I'd rather not have to buy a new PC!
>
>Yes
>>

>>3 - Finally a real beginner question. How does MAP65 handle Tx?
>>Does (can) it control the transceiver Tx frequency via CAT?  Does
>>the operator dial in the Tx frequency on the transciever? It seems
>>to me that you'd be running separate Tx and Rx systems. How to you
>>coordinate frequencies? Or am I missing something here?
>>
>There is software that does that - "TraKBox"  so that your TX
>frequency matches the receive frequency clicked on.
>

>>I'm sure the answers to all these questions can be found on the web
>>and in the manuals, but due to a neurological problem, I have
>>trouble reading and technical manuals are the hardest things to
>>read! So please forgive "dumb" questions!
>
>Ask away Bob.
>

>73 David Anderson GM4JJJ
>

>>Bob
>>
>>KA1GT

President and CTO - Arcom Communications
Makers of repeater controllers and accessories.
http://www.arcomcontrollers.com/
Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave and
we offer complete repeater packages!
AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
http://www.irlp.net
"We don't just make 'em. We use 'em!"