[Moon-Net] 23cm small dish feed idea

Bob Atkins ka1gt at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 29 02:54:25 CET 2016

Bob Atkins has shared a?OneDrive?file with you. To view it, click the image below.

<https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsKFQutBwCfkapXkU8CBF9Ctx5c>
[https://q96oig.dm2301.livefilestore.com/y3mgPdnoYQCtgS18zofgbI4WFvXz4YPHKws9TmXwXKCM1vDiH9nxGAFaRqV2o1LovdyeWpC0Mp45DX68br7yF3D5PaFqR92tPvQ2LJLR9ylM-53G3CjtgmXIGKiACJh8WlFNodDnZ0Cwjl09lKDAdgRd2JERquMfFAXWN6nnODoNVQ?width=200&height=150&cropmode=center]<https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsKFQutBwCfkapXkU8CBF9Ctx5c>

My only experience with the "Penny" feed was at 10GHz. It works and it's easy and convenient, but as I recall, it's not very efficient, especially if the F/d ratio of the dish is >0.4. It words pretty well for focal plane dished (F/d = 0.25) thought, which most feeds don't.

There are a couple of other waveguide based backfire feeds in RSGB publictions of the same vintage (see RSGB VHF/UHF manual, 3rd Edition, 1976), There's a dipole feed, again most useful with small F/d dished (0.25-0.35). There's also a back feed better matched to longer F/d dishes (see attacked file).

They all look much more suitable (or exclusively) for linear polarization.

I'm also considering a small dish for 1296, so the subject of feeds is of some interest to me. I'm assuming a septum feed with cables, preamp etc. sticking out in front of the dish will be the only reasonable way to get an efficient circular polarized feed. If there is an alternative I'd be interested!

Bob

KA1GT