[Moon-Net] Lost luggage E44CM

Chris, PA2CHR post at pa2chr.nl
Mon Nov 28 16:59:16 CET 2016

Hi all,

Fortunately today we received all three suitcases back !

They were send by a courier from the airline company to my home, good service.

Only the control box of the actuator was damaged, so nothing serious and easy to repair.

The suitcases were delayed at Tel Aviv airport for manual security inspection.  You can expect this when you put an actuator inside: it looks like a shotgun when it passes the scanners J

We heard stories from other people on DX-pedition about a lot of broken equipment when it was not correctly packed after a security inspection!

So we have some tips for travellers:

-  Use foam all around your equipment and fix it also all around the inside of your suitcase.

-  Make it as easy as possible to replace your equipment in your suitcase after it is inspected by a security officer : pack every piece of equipment in foam with some elastic around it.

-  Put a copy of your Amateur radio license in every suitcase.

-  Put a paper with your name, call, address and phone number in every suitcase.

-  Use a “TSA” lock on your suitcase for easy opening by officials.

-  Take ‘most sensitive’ equipment like expensive PA’s as hand luggage if possible.

-  Be in time (2 or 3 hours) before departure on the airport. Sometime’s security checks are done before you can check in; officials don’t care if you will miss your flight or not.....

-  Take care about the luggage-labels you receive with the check in: you need them if a part is missing on arrival.

Best 73’s,

Chris, PA2CHR