[Moon-Net] Fwd: Prime-focus vs. Offset-dish

Paul Wade w1ghz.vt at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 14:54:46 CET 2016

I was in hospital having my knee replacement when his discussion
started and still not able to sit and type for long, will add
my thoughts:

Prime focus dish
+ easy to find focus
+ intuitive pointing
+ good feeds available
+ readily available free in USA
- feed blocks center of dish
- feed is far from equipment
- moving equipment to feed point unbalances weight further

Offset dish
- harder to find focus (but EME has lots of hard parts)
- pointing not intuitive (readouts required for all large dishes)
- excellent feeds available (both W2IMU and Skobolev dual-mode
  feeds may be tailored to fit any f/D, even Cassegrain)
+ no feed blockage
+ equipment should be mounted at feed
~ conventional dish mount may be unbalanced (I believe there are
  better ways

One other note is that dual-mode feed for an offset dish at 23 cm
is physically large compared to a modest size dish and would cause
some blockage, as well as being physically unwieldy.  (the proper
version is a good deal larger than small IMU commonly used).

I am still looking for 2.4M offset dish, which I think would be
big enough to justify the effort of building a mount. I have a
1.8 meter, but it is not big enough on lower bands.

Also was given a 3 meter mesh prime focus which I started to put
on last summer, and hope to this summer if no more emergencies.
It should be fine for the lower bands, but I'd still prefer a
good offset for higher bands.

73
paul