[Moon-Net] EME QSL Etiquette question

Pete Rimmel N8PR n8pr at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 22 23:56:04 CET 2016

Having been an ARRL QSL DX Card Checker, Here is the scoop on eQSL and copies (jpeg) printed QSL cards.

The ARRL and many card checker have seen many people trying to cheat the system.

Any “self” printed QSL can be easily photoshopped to show different information than is true or original from a station “worked” or “NOT worked”

I have had QSLs show up printed from eQSL files that have been modified in many ways...  the most blatant is obvious erasure marks on the printed paper with hand written in data to try to get a credit.

Others not so obvious are people working a station on 18 MHz and then putting in a “dot” between to claim a 160 meter QSO...  Funny, but I just cannot see 160 meters being open from the US at noon to Myanmar !  Others have photoshopped the entire QSL or data and submitted times and dates when the station was kown to NOT be on the air, as confirmed by eMail to that station.

The ARRL has always tried to maintain the HIGHEST standard in order to keep the DXCC system fair and accurate.  That is why in the early days of LOTW it was so difficult to get inot the system... Their security system was the same as a Wall Street Bank (this from ARRL to me)  and they wanted it to be so secure that it could not be compromised.  Now they have the same security, but with easier protocalls to log on and keep the security safe.

There is no rusel about signing in ink or with an inked stamp, but all DXpeditions do so to maintain the legitimate reporting of QSLs for their operations.

I hope this explains why the paper printed and eQSL cards are not accepted.

BTW,  someone stated that now days the EME operations work so many stations that it could be a burden to QSL direct with SAE and $$ or by PayPal.  I find that rather ludicrous, since most EME DXpeditions rarely work 500 QSOs.  That is nothing to the 100,000 QSOs that the truly rare DXpeditions work. I always send LOTW to every QSO upon return from a trip, and then still get about 100 direct QSLs for 200+ QSOs on 2 meter EME.  To me that is fun not a burden to see and return the QSLs direct.  Plus it is fun to read notes sent with the QSLs.

73, PeteR  N8PR   also  ZF2EM, N4M, C6AHR, KG4UN, /ZB2/, PJ2/, PJ7/ +++

Message: 4