[Moon-Net] EME QSL Etiquette question

Simon Lewis gm4plm at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 22 21:57:30 CET 2016

This one comes up occasionally on DX forums too.

I guess the question is what you want to do with QSL’s?

If your just collecting cards personally and on EME then I can pretty much know the callsigns I work and I know if a card is genuine.

On HF I’d get all sorts of QSL cards in and occasionally the QSO data would be invalid – that card would end up in the bin.

There have been occasions where cards have been faked for awards but I’d say that invariably come to light as has been the case recently where a high profile DX’rs QSO’s were false and that person suffered the consequences quite publically!

In effect if your not worried about the physical card then Log Book of the World from ARRL offers one option for electronic confirmation exchange. Its quite easy to set up and is protected by digital signatures.

Actually my logs are uploaded automatically to LOTW inc my EME QSO’s.

Beauty of this is no post, no SAE .. no $ - but no physical card. And I don’t need to send my cards to a checker – which in NZ is limted to a few validated ARRL card checkers.

There are a number of other electronic QSL systems like EQSL and some orgs also accept QSO’s from their system subject to some rules.

So I guess the question is simple – chasing awards then it needs more rigour – but you can always find people who will cheat but I think they only cheat themselves.

LOTW is a good option – more people signing up all the time and growing popularity.

Paper is still ok – and nothing wrong with doing an EQSL – the other person can print it off if they like – but just be wary if you suddenly in the future start chasing awards – they are liable not to be accepted by some orgs.

Cheers

Simon ZL4PLM