[Moon-Net] EME QSL Etiquette question

Bob Atkins ka1gt at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 22 21:38:07 CET 2016

David

When you say "No point in sending email JPGs for QSL cards, not valid for any award, as could be forged so easily" I sort of see the logic, but QSL cards aren't watermarked, don't use special paper and don't have serial numbers or special printing like banknotes. So what distinguishes between a "genuine" card vs a "forgery"? If it's the hand written content on the card,  it would be fairly easy to copy a card digitally (erasing any hand written content using an image editor), then print it out and fill in the contact details by hand. Forging a QSL card would be a trivial thing to do. I'm reasonably experienced at digital image editing, but I think I could "fake" any QSL card in a few minutes If I had a sample to copy.

I don't send a lot of cards, so I print each one from a JPEG file myself. I do enter the text by hand and sign it, but it would be just as easy to enter script text digitally and use a digital copy of my signature.  Lots of organizations accept copies of signatures. For example you can FAX signed legal documents and the signatures are valid. Through cryptography and public and private keys, any digital file can be authenticated with near absolute certainty and it would be possible to print a digital signature key

The logic of not regarding a printed, emailed, QSL card as "genuine" seems pretty flawed given current technology but I guess some people and some organizations get pretty worked up about awards. Personally I don't care about awards. If I know a card is a valid card, I don't care how I get it. But rules are rules I guess. If an organization requires "genuine" QSL cards and (assuming that can tell what a "genuine" cards is) you need to give them what they require.

For a hobby using such advanced technology (especially for digital EME), it seems a little ironic that the only accepted for of proof of a contact is a piece of paper physically sent through the main!

Looks like the best way to deal with QSL cards is to send a QSL with a SASE and not to expect 100% return. I return a card to anyone who sends me one, but I'm in the fortunate position that it's not a financial burden to me (and I don't make that many contacts anyway!).

Thanks for the update on QSLing

73

Bob

KA1GT