[Moon-Net] EME QSL Etiquette question

David Anderson david at gm4jjj.co.uk
Tue Nov 22 13:36:29 CET 2016

Bob,

A few points.

IRC are useless now, post offices don't issue new ones and are reluctant to
honour them, they see so few they don't know what they are. Often people
send ones that are out of date and they are really worthless. Green stamps
don't expire.

Some stations offer the ability to pay via PayPal via OQRS where you can
request a card direct without sending one. You have the choice of asking
for a free card but it will be sent via the Buro and won't be quick.

No point in sending email JPGs for QSL cards, not valid for any award, as
could be forged so easily.

You are right, due to the number of contacts now, it can be a real burden
in time and money to QSL for many DX stations. Postage rates are much
higher than they used to be.

So QSL only if you are asked to by the other station, or if you need a card
for an award or new DXCC State locator etc.

Always check QRZ.COM for QSL details of the DX station first, don't assume
they use the Buro, eQSL, LOTW or anything.

Consider joining LOTW, you don't need to be an ARRL member.

For regular non EME contacts I ask for return postage in US $ or Euro and a
SASE for direct cards. Or the card goes via the Buro, but it won't be
quick. I accept OQRS payment for direct card requests without a card being
received.

For EME only I am happy to QSL direct without charge at present, I may
review this if I become very active. I don't send cards out unless
requested, or I especially need a QSL for some reason. I use LOTW and eQSL,
but actually wonder why I use eQSL as it isn't valid for awards, but LOTW
is.

Once again, the most important thing is to find out how the other fellow
handles QSLing, and the place is QRZ.COM.

73

David Anderson GM4JJJ