[Moon-Net] EME QSL Etiquette question

Bob Atkins ka1gt at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 22 08:49:08 CET 2016

It's been about 35 years since I was last active on 432 EME. At that time there weren't a huge number of stations on and it was all CW. QSOs could take 30 minutes or more to complete, Consequently sending and receiving QSL cards directly wasn't much of an issue since not many were involved.

What's the EME QSL etiquette today? Do people generally QSL direct? It was always good practice to include a SASE with a card, including postage if the contact was with a US station, or IRCs if international. However I don't think you can buy IRCs from the US post office any more.

I'm perfectly happy paying posting on any cards I send when I get a card from another station, but I guess that the cost of postage and number of contacts possible today might be a financial burden on some stations.

Is anyone using an electronic (email) QSL card system, sending a printable JPEG file with all the contact details filled in and signed by the station operator? I print my own cards anyway, so another station would get the same card whether I print it or they print it, though mine would have hand written text and a live signature.

I'd like to exchange cards with a few EME contacts made during the contest (and at other times). Just wondering what's the general practice (if such a ting exists) on EME these days.

Bob

KA1GT