[Moon-Net] 2.4M PRIME FOCUS / 2.4M OFFSET/ ALSO SEPTUM FOR 1296

Hansen Peter peter.hansen at dk.saabgroup.com
Tue Nov 22 08:36:40 CET 2016

Hi All I am an extensive user of a Offset dishes.
I started out with a 1.8meter offset dish (6foot) with 35W in the feed. I worked easily 35initials on CW and it would have been going on. But 1½ year ago I changed to a 2.4meter Offset dish and this really opened the world. I use the dish on 3 and 6cm currently but will do 24Ghz also. My dish is channel master/Andrew dish. The mesh is small enough for use on 24Ghz.
I can confirm most of the things KL7UW states. The dish is easy to feed  linear on 3cm as there are waveguide feeds used originally that works great. On 6cm where I am circular I designed my own feed type as I find W2IMU feed little off peak being used for my dish. I had 0.2dB too little Moonnoise on 6cm. I know I could have tried with larger W2IMU feeds but I went another way.
Efficiency is much better on the Offset dish due to low blockage and higher efficiency in the Feed to illuminate a higher F/d.

What can be worked on a 2.4meter ??
3CM
I worked a 90cm that was using 12W in JT4F EME
I worked a 90cm that was using 25W in CW

6CM
I worked a 1meter and 10W in CW

Many qso is possible just try it out.

All forgot one VERY NICE feature on Offset dish. When I work on my Feeds, Change system etc I simply sit on the ground and have the feed just in front of me. Or I can tilt the dish and work on it standing up.

73 Peter OZ1LPR