[Moon-Net] FLEX 1500 & MAP65

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Tue Nov 22 00:28:05 CET 2016

Cowles,

I didn't reply on the Flex-1500 but have heard that quite a few who
bought them for eme or mw IF use with transverters had sold the Flex
citing freq instability and interfacing issues.

I waited several years, using a FT-847 on 2m and on 1296 with144/1296
transverter.  But having heard such glowing  comments on the K3 for
CW use, I decided using transverters with top-end HF radio made for a
superior eme and VHF-mw operation.  I bought my K3 in 2010 and
commissioned DEMI to build a custom dual-Rx transverter to use with
MAP65 for adaptive-pol receiving (IQ+ was not available at that time).

Since have acquired the 220, 432, 1296 transverters using 28-MHz as
std IF.  I am not upgrading to the K3S as most of the upgraded boards
are available to install in my K3 (I bought the new synth boards
which I have not yet installed).  I decided to buy the K3/10 which
does not have the 100w HF amp inside the radio.  I also have a KX3 so
bought the separate KXPA-100 for use on HF/6m by either radio.  Cost
is about the same.

The K3S is expensive but ranks at the top of the list compared with
other HF radios and very popular with dxpeditions due to
size/weight.  I think their transverter I/F is superb in comparison
with other makers.  No computer I/F is required -
plug-n-play.  Transverter output is 0.1-1.5mw so take that into
consideration for obtaining compatible transverters.  Rx and Tx
separate connectors std.  And great Tx-inhibit function makes
sequencing fool-proof.

Guess you would say I like my K3.

But saying that the KX3 is pretty nice and is usable with
transverters with a little more work in doing the I/F.

73, Ed - KL7UW

At 09:35 AM 11/21/2016, Cowles Andrus III K4EME wrote:

>I want to thank VE4MA, W2HRO, KC4SW and everyone else who responded
>to my email about using the FLEX 1500 with MAP 65.
>
>It appears at this time no one has been able to get theses two to
>play together, so I don't plan to buy the FLEX 1500.
>
>Some have recommended the Elecraft K3S!
>
>The K3S would cost considerable more than the FLEX 1500, so I may
>put the K3S on my wish list!
>
>Thank you & 73!
>
>Cowles K4EME
>Home page: <http://cowlesradio.webs.com/>http://cowlesradio.webs.com/