[Moon-Net] Are 73s needed for a "valid" contact?

Bart Jahnke bjahnke at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 23:43:00 CET 2016

All,

Regarding the confirmation of completion of an EME QSO, specifically in the
ARRL EME Contest, the rule http://www.arrl.org/eme-contest is clear:

*4.* Exchange: Each station must send and receive both call signs and a
signal report in any mutually understood format, plus an acknowledgment of
the calls and report. Partial or incomplete contacts should be indicated on
your log, but not counted for contest credit.

The above said, sending "73" is not required so long as an acknowledgement
of call signs and signal reports is made. Over the years, I've seen
stations on CW and JT send "RRR 73" as a dual purpose final transmission,
but "73" is optional.

As for logger communications before or after an ARRL EME Contest Contact,
the rule is also clear (with my emphasis added in the last sentence):

*6.3.* All entrants, regardless of category, are permitted to use spotting
assistance or nets including but not limited to DX-alerting nets, internet
chat rooms, APRS and other packet, reverse beacon networks and repeaters to
identify stations available for contacts and to announce (self-spot) their
availability for contacts. Announcements shall be limited to call sign,
location, band or frequency, mode and–if applicable–transmitting sequence
and listening direction. These methods of spotting assistance may also be
used to coordinate antenna peaking prior to initiation of the contact and
to explain contest rules, such as the exchange required, for those who need
clarification.* Such assistance may not be used to facilitate the
completion of any contact once the contact has commenced. This means such
assistance may not be used to convey receipt or non-receipt of any required
element of a contact or to request a repeat of any required element of a
contact.*

This last sentence (my emphasis added) does NOT prohibit pre-contact or
post-contact discussions, so long as these discussions do NOT convey
non-receipt, receipt, request to repeat, or confirmation of any element of
an EME contact.

Thanks or participating and 73,

Bart Jahnke, W9JJ

Contest Branch Manager

*ARRL - The national association for Amateur Radio™*

*225 Main St*

*Newington CT 06111*

860-594-0232

w9jj at arrl.org

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 10:40 AM, Marshall-K5QE <k5qe at k5qe.com> wrote:

> Hi Paul and others.....Your post says, "ARRL says no".  I believe that is
correct, but I would like to find that in their rules or get a ruling from
the Contest Director, Bart-W9JJ.  I certainly don't want anyone to be
sanctioned or disqualified because of something like this that is not
perfectly clear to everyone.....it is also in conflict with "normal"
practice that we do every day.

> Actually, I would like to be allowed to post a "thank you" as we normally
do......even during the contests.  This might have to be an exception.  It
would put the contests in line with normal practice for casual operating
and with working DXpeditions.  Allowing this as an exception(or a specific
rule change-whatever) would not entangle an operator who predominantly
operates in the casual style.

> Whatever, we need a careful ruling on what we can and cannot do....
>
> I hope that everyone had a good time and made lots of contacts in the
contest.....

> 73 Marshall K5QE
>

> On 11/20/2016 9:51 PM, Paul Andrews wrote:
>
> Stephen,  The obvious difference is that sending 73 via JT65 consumes a
full 60 seconds.  With voice (SSB/FM) a full ARRL valid QSO exchange
including "TNX 73" will take less than 15 seconds.  During normal EME QSOs
I enjoy the slow pace of 60 second periods.  I do my logging during 4
minutes of RO/RRR/73/73.  During a contest waiting for 73 is unnecessary.
The question becomes can you send 73 via the logger.  ARRL says no.

http://www.nlsa.com/nets/moon-net-help.html