[Moon-Net] 3CX1500A7 (8877) or 3CPX1500A7 ?

Martin Andrew martin.andrew at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 21 20:49:34 CET 2016

Looking to get a spare tube as down to my last one now after a failure in the old HPA.
Heater failure yet again even with a good three stage heater 'step start' fitted.

Been looking for a 3CX1500A7 (8877) but they seem to be getting pretty rare in the UK and also very expensive.
So also looking at the 3CPX1500A7 which except for Anode voltage seems pretty similar, and also much lower price.
I know that the EHT supply I have will not go to much above 3.5KV so wondering if the 3CPX1500 is happy with a much lower anode voltage than the specified 10KV max.

Before I look at ordering one (or should I stay with the 8877 ?) does anyone know if the 3CPX is a 'near' direct replacement for the 3CX series tube ?.
Physical size is the same and looks like it will go easily to 200Mhz.

Martin, GM6VXB