[Moon-Net] Are 73s needed for a "valid" contact?

Marshall-K5QE k5qe at k5qe.com
Sun Nov 20 23:06:51 CET 2016

Hello Conrad and others interested in this thread.....I am NOT an ARRL
rules guru, but I thought that the posting of any contact information
was prohibited during the contests.  You certainly cannot post, "I hear
your RO, so I am sending RRR"....or anything like that at all.  I know
that we all agree on this.

Others have said that the posting of "thank you" after the contact is
complete is not allowed, because it tells the other station that you are
complete(which is a piece of contact information).  I have not posted
the traditional "thank you" whenever I was in a contest, because I
believed that it was not allowed(but I may be very wrong on this).
During casual operating, I try to post a "thank you" so the other
station knows that we are done AND so that he can see his signal
strength, etc.

It would be nice if we could get a definite ruling on this. Maybe
Bart-W9JJ could study this carefully and let us know what we can and
cannot do.

The rules for the CW WW VHF contest are slightly different from the
ARRL's rules, so we have another issue there.

On this last leg of the EME contest, I had a guest operator(Phil-W5RP)
at the helm of the 2M station.  He worked about 100 stations for the two
days.  That is pretty good for a new operator.  I thank everyone for
calling and working him.  It was a great experience for him and I know
that he enjoyed it a lot.  He certainly got a wonderful introduction to
WSJT and pileups on 2M.  It will be a while before he gets his home
station running, but when that happens, we will have another FB station
and operator on 2M.

73 Marshall K5QE