[Moon-Net] Are 73s needed for a "valid" contact?

Bob Atkins ka1gt at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 20 21:55:40 CET 2016

During the EME contest one station I contacted suggested that the final "73" wasn't required, just the exchangeable of "Call signs and locators", "OOO", "RO" and "RRR".  Is that generally accepted to be the case? Usually at least one or both stations send "73", but is this actually a requirement for a valid QSO (as least as defined by the contest).

The "call, locator and OOO" confirms reception of "callls + locator" in one direction and the "RO" confirms reception of that report by the first station. "RRR" then confirms reception of that information.  Technically, isn't that all that is needed?

I'm not suggestion that dropping the final 73 (or exchange of 73s) is a good idea. I just don't want to claim a contact where the other stations didn't send the first "73" and suggested it wasn't required.

Bob

KA1GT