[Moon-Net] DISH SIZE FOR 1296

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Sun Nov 20 21:42:50 CET 2016

Serge,

I am continually glad that I decided to put up my 4.9m dish instead
of trying to use the 2.4m dish (which is FS).  Back when I was
studying what it would take for CW-eme on any band it seems that 3m
was generally given as a standard.  Since then sspa's and low noise
LNA's have made using a smaller dish possible.  But always try to put
up the largest you can manage for the receive side.  One can always
build a bigger amp to make up for lack of gain on Tx.

BTW I have a couple CW contacts made using 125w at the feed.  I think
I have made JT65c with 2.0m but definitely fine with 2.4m.

Dish still parked while I figure out my digital tracking system
problems (set aside to work 2m this WE -high noise jsut started at
2040utc so QRT).

If you can find a 2.4m offset dish that makes up slighty over a center fed one.

GL

73, Ed - KL7UW
guess time to fill out my contest entry papers as probably done for this year.

At 07:25 AM 11/20/2016, serge wrote:
>For some of you that actually are operating on 1296 could tell me
>the minimum size for a prime focus dish or offset dish to operate on
>CW? after you have worked the big guys?? Would anything less than 10
>FT/3M be worst looking at or not??.
>Thank you
>Serge VE1KG

73, Ed - KL7UW