[Moon-Net] TS-2000X SSB TX Output Power Ramping

Lars Pettersson sm4ive at telia.com
Wed Nov 9 06:18:19 CET 2016

Paul
I have been using my TS2KX for many years (2002    or so ) doing MS
with FSK441 and on 6 m JT6M     signalink box conn to acc port
I am not using the vox function on the signalink box
I have not seen the ramping you see
73 Lars SM4IVE
Den 2016-11-08 kl. 23:01, skrev Paul Andrews:
> John,
>
> Good to know.   I successfully used the AFSK Input port on my previous
> radio the FT-847.   I think Yaesu did a better job.   The AFSK input
> was not subject to speech processing or front panel microphone level
> control.   It was a clean way to interface the SignaLink.
>  Obviously, I didn't expect that the TS-2000X ACC2 input would have
> this issue.   I will operate 2M EME with this TX ramp up just to see
> if it affects the quality of my QSOs.   The TX level ramp is kind to
> SSPAs.   Your 8877 is a very resilient amp.   SSPAs are subject to
> damage for over drive.   This ACC2 interface problem may actually help
> protect the SSPA.   We'll see.
>
> 73 - Paul - W2HRO
>

> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 3:00 PM, John Regnault
> <john.regnault at btinternet.com <mailto:john.regnault at btinternet.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     Paul,
>
>     I have used several TS2000 (X) both for EME and FSK441 meteor
>     scatter over 12+ years.
>
>     I have been aware of this issue for many years and just do not use
>     the ACC2 port. The mod looked like a major nightmare!
>
>     I run an external sequencers which in turn switches the TS2000 to
>     TX and I use the mic input for all modes.
>
>     Like Joe K1JT has said ‘NO PROCESSOR’ and further I would say
>     reduce the audio drive until you have almost no alc. Overdrive and
>     clipping ‘does’ affect the quality of a JT65 transmission.
>     Poor(clipped, compressed, overdriven) JT65 transmissions decode badly!
>
>     Over 3000 JT65 EME QSO’s and over 1000 FSK MS QSO’s driving a 8877
>     amplifier and the only thing that has gone wrong is oxidised crimp
>     connections on the power lead.
>
>     73
>
>     John G4SWX
>
>     Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 09:53:03 -0500
>
>     From: Paul Andrews <w2hro.fn20 at gmail.com
>     <mailto:w2hro.fn20 at gmail.com>>
>
>     Subject: [Moon-Net] TS-2000X SSB TX Output Power Ramping
>
>     To: Moon-Net <moon-net at mailman.pe1itr.com
>     <mailto:moon-net at mailman.pe1itr.com>>

>     <CAOsf+NQYZazuD2kjTz3HfLQonjD7Eohx23M1LeRaX45cYd+ABA at mail.gmail.com
>     <mailto:CAOsf+NQYZazuD2kjTz3HfLQonjD7Eohx23M1LeRaX45cYd+ABA at mail.gmail.com>>

>     Kenwood has reported that TS-2000X TX Output Power Ramping when
>     using the ACC2 interface is a real bug / "feature" affecting early
>     models.
>
>     My radio is SEPT 2001.  This appears to be a relatively rare bug
>     unless many operators just haven't seen it because they use the
>     front panel microphone jack and not the ACC2 interface.
>
>     This bug affects only SSB transmissions originated from the ACC2 port.
>
>     FM is unaffected.  WSJT transmissions using the front panel
>     Microphone jack are unaffected.
>
>     Kenwood sent me the detailed factory authorized upgrade procedure.   I
>
>     have the procedure document in PDF form and will provide it to
>     anyone who asks.  Is there a good place that this procedure could
>     be posted for all interested to review?

> [...]

I dont do ESP QSO`s i prefere to hear the station.
CW is still King!!!!