[Moon-Net] Elad Duo SDR

DW Harms PA2DW qtc at kpnmail.nl
Tue Nov 8 18:40:33 CET 2016

Hi Keith,

A friend of mine, PA0RYL, gave me his Elad Duo, to test it on EME during the latest ARRL contest. I used my Kühne TR1296H as transvertor and splitted the signals on 28 MHz in three directions, the Elad, my K3 and my Telefunken E1501 receiver.

I must say the Elad is a gorgeous SDR radio, more quality than I expected from that small package J

It can also work as a stand alone radio and as such I carefully compared it on CW to the Elecraft K3 and the Telefunken E1501.

The Elad did not win that competition. Especially the very weak signals are not easy to get through the filters without much ringing.  The E1501 has the smoothest mechanical filters I ever heard on a radio and is my top radio for weak signal CW work. Nr. Two is the K3 and the Elad nr. 3…

Also the controls of the Elad are a bit flimsy, especially compared to the rocksolid German quality of the Telefunken. But that is a no fair competition…

Hope I got you on the way a bit J

73,

Dick PA2DW