[Moon-Net] IQ+ MAP 65 TEST & CONCLUSION

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Sun Nov 6 17:53:13 CET 2016

Serge,

OK, then try one of the preamps you are saving for help to
others.  But put the second preamp after the 3-dB splitter as its
easy to overdrive with 22-dB gain from preamp No.1.  You might
consider a PHA103+ preamp with 12 dB gain (WA3IAC offers them on
e-bay).  I built five for him a year ago and they work fine as a
general purpose preamp or buffer amp.  You could even insert a BP
filter ahead of the PHA103+ as you have sufficient gain from preamp No.1

Just ideas but try something and compare with eme signals.

I used an old 12-dB 1296 DEMI preamp after my G4DDK preamp for extra
gain (line loss is 7-dB).  I will not use it with my new G4DDK since
it has 35 dB gain which quite sufficient even losing 7-dB in the cable.

GL and keep us advised on what you find out.

73, Ed - KL7UW

At 06:39 AM 11/6/2016, serge wrote:
>Dear friends
>I know by now most of you are bored to tears with this THREAD. So
>this is for the folks who have the same problem as i do but were
>afraid to asked.
>With the help of some of the most famous EME GURUS i
>proceeded  doing the following test that THEY suggested.
>
>1)  50 ohms dummy load on the IQ+ INPUT    FLOOR NOISE 5DB ON  MAP65
>
>2)  ANTENNA CONNECTED   (IQ+ TO SPLITTER LNA ON)    22DB WITH
>ELEVATION OF 15 DEGREES IN THE CLEAR OVER THE OCEAN
>
>3)  ANTENNA CONNECTED   (IQ+ to SPLITTER LNA OFF)  FLOOR NOISE  5DB  ON MAP65
>
>CONCLUSIONS: THE 16DB required are barley enough 22db -5db floor
>noise =16db RF GAIN & very often depending on the AZ/EL   it can go
>down to -19db -5db = 14db RF GAIN well below of what is required. So
>I will have to work on increasing the RF GAIN to the IQ+. I guess if
>i took out the splitter i would probably gain 2 or 3db but i do not
>want to do that.
>
>I want to thank Leif SM5BSZ, Conrad PA5Y, ED KL7EW for their help:)
>Serge VE1KG

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"