[Moon-Net] IQ+ PREAMP GAIN NEEDED

Roger Rehr W3SZ w3sz73 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 21:54:38 CET 2016

HI Roger,

It sounds like you have a great setup and it is doing what you want it
to do, so there is no need for you to change anything.  I am not
suggesting that you change anything.

But I want to prevent a misconception that might occur when some folks
read your post.  When Linrad and WSJT or WSJT-X are set up as Les
described, there is no need to "manage" Linrad after starting it, at all.

As an extreme example, I run a Master instance of Linrad and then four
slave instances of Linrad, which are driven along with MAP65 from the
master instance of Linrad.  Each slave instance of Linrad drives a
separate instance of WSJT-X (used to be WSJT), one each for 0, 45, 90,
and 135 degree receive polarization angle.  The master instance of
Linrad has its frequency controlled automatically by MAP65 and tracks
the MAP65 QSO frequency.  So that instance of Linrad is started and then
can be minimized and never looked at again.  Each slave instance of
Linrad is likewise started and will then track the master instance of
Linrad, so each slave is also minimized and never looked at again.  All
you need to look at on the screen with this setup is the 4 instances of
WSJT-X.

There is NO fiddling with Linrad required.

So if you are running fixed polarization, you would run one instance of
Linrad as a master and one as a slave, and the slave would drive WSJT-X
or WSJT.  The Linrad master would of course also be driving MAP65.  The
instances of Linrad could be minimized, and there would be no need to
touch them or look at them.

I do find that I get substantial benefit from keeping the master
instance of Linrad in view, as I find its combination of wideband
waterfall and spectrum superior to MAP65's displays for "knowing what is
going on" on the band in terms of desired signals present, noise level,
etc.  I would feel "blind" if I did not have it in view.  But that is my
choice and there is no "need" for the user to look at Linrad if doing so
is disturbing or distracting to the user.

Linrad would of course be an extremely helpful addition to the signal
path for anyone with repetitive noise problems, for there is nothing
else that eliminates repetitive noise as well as does its combination of
smart and dumb noise-blankers.

73,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ