[Moon-Net] EME Survey

Roger Rehr W3SZ w3sz73 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 21:32:43 CET 2016

HI Bob,

I think the survey is a good idea, and I am doing it right after I
finish this email!

The reason that the ratio of 144 MHz entries to 432 MHz entries in the
DUBUS contest you reference is so low when compared with the same ratio
in the ARRL contest is that the DUBUS contest that you reference is CW
ONLY, and the ARRL contest is multi-mode.  There is virtually no CW left
on 144 MHz EME.  So the comparison you made does not reflect any
conflict in results.  Rather, apples and oranges are being compared in
the numbers you presented.  It would be more appropriate to compare the
DUBUS Digital EME 2015 contest results to the ARRL contest results.  And
if that is done, the results in the two contests are actually quite
similar, as noted below.

In the Dubus Digital EME contest 2015, twice as many logs were submitted
on 144 MHz (18 logs) as on 432 MHz (9 logs).

This result is consistent with the ARRL contest result, which was that
65 logs were submitted on 144 MHz and 33 logs were submitted on 432 MHz.

So the ratio of logs submitted on 144 MHz to logs submitted on 432 MHz
is 2.0 for the DUBUS Digital EME contest and 1.97 for the ARRL contest.
It is hard to get closer than that with these sample sizes :)

Overall activity level differences between the two bands might be more
accurately expressed by the ratio of QSOs logged on 144 vs on 432 MHz.
For the ARRL contest, that ratio is  5.4.

Another measure of relative band activity might be obtained by comparing
the highest number of unique calls recorded by any station on a given
band in the DUBUS Digital 2015 EME contest for the various bands.  That
number was 117 for 144 MHz and 41 for 432 MHz, giving a ratio of 2.9.

My numbers are all taken from the Excellent talk on this subject that
was given by Rick Rosen, K1DS, at the superb EME 2016 Conference held in
August of this year at Treviso, Italy.

Before that conference, Rick had done an activity survey of band
utilization that was completed by many members of this list.  Rick had
199 respondents to that survey! That was also a SurveyMonkey Survey.  I
have the URL, and I was going to post it so that everyone could again
see the results details, but the URL only allowed me to take the survey
again, and not to check the results.  So there are now 199 + 1
respondents, with one of them being a dupe, and I will not post that URL  :)

Rick's talk is available in its entirety at:
http://www.eme2016.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/EME-2016-K1DS-Presentation.pdf

73,

Roger W3SZ