[Moon-Net] SPIDs

Peter Connors sronnocfp at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 14:57:01 CET 2016

This is of  interest to me because I am in the process of assembling an
eme station using the RAS with a ~80m cable run so I have searched the
internet (and the Moon-net archives back to 2012 so far) for
information. While there are significant differences in systems that
experience problems/no problems there is no single definitive source of
information on 'the right way to do it'.

 From what I have read, the difference in the outcome for different
stations appears to be affected by whether the RAS is HR (which appears
much less noise immune), the motor cable size/resistance, power supply
regulation, psu sharing between the controller and the motors, the model
of the controller, the sensor cable construction and its
screening/earthing. The degree of mechanical imbalance/inertia in the
array will also affect the startup currents and thus the voltage drop
and/or noise spike in the system. Anything I have fogotten? Maybe the
firmware...

What one station will 'get away with' is not always replicated by
another with different system values, and the lack of a full set of
parameters can leave a Spid user in the dark. Meanwhile, the information
search turns up all sorts of useful stuff - and its fun!

Pete, G4PLZ