[Moon-Net] Tower mounted video camera

Jim Kennedy kennedyjp at cableone.net
Fri Sep 20 09:48:01 CEST 2013

Hi Les, This is what I use for a wireless camera on the tower. http://www.boostervision.com/cart/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=126   I mounted the camera inside a PVC tube. I capped the back of the PVC tube and drilled a hole in the cap to feed power to the camera. At the front of the tube I mounted the camera and secured it with RTV. I drilled a hole for the antenna to protrude out of the PVC tube. I bent 4 lightweight U shaped aluminum brackets and used hose clamps to secure them to the PVC tube and the boom of the yagi. I cut an aluminum hood from lightweight aluminum to protect the camera from rain and snow getting on the lens and secured it with another hose clamp. I also drilled some holes down the bottom of the PVC tube for drains in case water got in. I put the whole thing together on the bench first so I could get the camera in the right spot in the PVC tube so the PVC tube and the rain/snow shield did not show up in the field of vision.

In the shack,  the tower cam receiver feeds the video to  a Haier 7 inch  TV receiver. I put a black thread down the middle of the display and that’s the cross hair so to speak to stay aligned on the moon. It’s a little crude but effective. I have a Glenn Martin Tram tower system and usually at some point during the summer bring the antennas down for a cursory check and spray a little Windex on a Q tip and clean the lens.

I have never had a problem with the lens getting so dirty that I couldn’t see and I have never had a problem with the camera system itself. Its been in operation for 4 years.

A side benefit is that you get to look at the birds that land on your boom up close and personal.

Jim
W7OUU DN22sn
Idaho