[Moon-Net] Transco Y type relay 115 VAC coils - use on DC

Chuck Smallhouse w7cs at theriver.com
Fri Jun 7 00:22:12 CEST 2013

I think that Conrad's original question was whether the 115VAC coils
could be run on 28VDC.  As I recall from years ago(many) to run their
coils on 115VAC they added a diode pack on the ends of the coils, to
operate on whatever their basic voltage was.  Maybe more recent
manufactured Transco Y relays they have do it a bit differently.  I
would say that the easiest thing to do would try running DC to the
coil windings and see if they pull in.  You might start at  a lower
voltage  than 28VDC and work up to that point.  In any case my
experience, and that of other repliers, is that the Transcos get
quite warm with continued "on" times.  They probably need to be heat
sunk.  This heat could also transfer to to a LNA through it's
connector and tend to increase it's NF, with the elevated temperature.

The only coax relays, I know, that have interchangeable 24/28VDC and
115VAC coils are the Dow Key DK60  series.

GL es 73,

Chuck,  W7CS