[Moon] [Moon-net] 2.40m dish

peter blair g3ltf at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 26 11:37:43 CEST 2008

 Oene, I endorse Ben SM6CKU 's input. SM5LE does an excellent job with his
2.2m dish and with his 250W was easily workable on CW by well establised 5m
dish stations. There are quite a lot, I'll guess at 20, of big ( 8m dish and
above) stations about on 23cm so  if you put a basic 2.4m station together
you will be able to work these quite easily. Then you will need to start to
optimise your system,  Basically  Experimenting....carefully measureing sun
noise, gradually eliminating losses, optimising feed position, trying
different feed types, different LNAs, improving the pointing accuracy, and
so on. Thats what Sven ( and others) have done.
Fortunately there is now plenty of material about on the internet on how to
do that, the W1GHZ on line antenna book for example
http://www.w1ghz.org/antbook/contents.htm and websites like Sven's where he
descibes blow by blow what he did. And there are lots of people here on the
reflectors who can help with advice.
There is also the issue of aquiring operating technique and skill. Knowing
where and when to call CQ, dealing with the libration fading etc. This just
takes time to learn, just like when you start on any new band. One thing
that the small stations do have going for them now is the increasing use of
SDRs with a waterfall display which alerts the larger station to the
presence of a possible QSO.
23cm is a great eme band with lots of activity and very few problems with
QRM from other services and birdies which are becoming a problem on some
other bands. GL 73 Peter  G3LTF