[Moon-net] 70cm 4cx250b amp question.

w2drz w2drz at madbbs.com
Fri Nov 7 22:55:12 CET 2008

Hi,

It has been many years since have used 4X??? series of tubes,
But here is what I recall to be the way to operate those tubes.

NUMBER ONE IS: be sure the amp is neutralized.
these tubes have about 30 to 35 db gain, that makes it critical to be
completely neutralized to be at least 35 to 40+ reverse isolation to forward
gain.
If a high efficient input circuit will drive tubes full output with 1/2 (50
MHz)  up to 5 watts (432 MHz) per tube.

Best way I have found is to reverse drive the tubes to do the
neutralization,
 input a signal,
 "(signal generator, +10 milliwatt or so) or exciter" of a watt or two into
tank circuit
 and measure at the input circuit grid circuit coax connector (use a
receiver/transverter) or rf meter for loss of at least 40 db isolation thru
amp circuit.

 This is with the filament and G1 Grid voltage bias "only applied" ( AB1
linier) G1 voltage.
 "NO" screen or HV on plate circuit,
 NOW BE CAREFUL as the rf voltage in the PA rank circuit will be extremely
high,
 can have "rf burn" if touched by body parts with a watt or more applied
into tank circuit while adjusting neutralizing adjustment's.

If it is found to not be at least 35 db isolation all bets are off on how
the amp will perform, as unit will be unstable to operate or tune.
MUST achieve at least 35 db isolation in the amp.

Now to the G1 and G2 requirements.

G2 current will swing positive to negative normally during tune up and
operation on the air using the 4X??? tubes.
What I have found is for each tube in use, is to allow for 20 mills of
negative screen current and 25 mills positive screen current.

 Use 25 or 50 watt zeners (G2 voltage) in series for proper screen voltage,
AB1, AB2 or class "C".
Adjust the (G2 supply) zener current to be (two tubes = 50 mills) 25 mills
per tube allowing for negative current flow up to neg 25 mills per tube,
 screen supply now will supply a solid 25 mills positive per tube as
adjusted no problem.

As to using a screen series resistor that is a option,
 I used a 10 ohm 1/2 watt carbon for tube flash over (PLATE TO SCREEN)
current protection,
this is to protect the screen supply regulation parts while allowing the
screen source voltage to be stiff for G2 needs.
These tube are very sensitive to any variation of the G2 screen voltage
deviations.
 resulting in poor operation,
 IE: splatter and or distortion along with power output being unstable.

IF too large of a resistor value,
 will allow the voltage rise by the screen to exceed the screen bypass
voltage rating, usually it is a max of 450 volts,
 (BLOWN/SHORTED SOCKET BYPASS cap.) is the result of a large ohm value in
screen lead.
This resistor can be at the tube socket if using a screen series resistor.

tom W2DRZ

http://www.w2drz.ramcoinc.com/