[Moon-net] actuator noise

Joe Taylor joe at Princeton.EDU
Fri Nov 7 22:28:21 CET 2008

Hi Erwin,

DK5EW wrote:
> I use for elevation system a 36" sat. actuator. Each time I elevate the
> system I have a horrible noise floor well seen in WSJT.
> Does anybody know a solution to eliminate that noise ?
> 73's Erwin/DK5EW

I get significant noise from my M^2 positioners (OR-2800 for Azimuth,
MT-1000 for Elevation).  The noise blankers in my TS-2000X and FT-847 do
almost nothing to help.  The noise blanker in Linrad, operating over a
90 kHz bandwidth, eliminates the noise completely.

Of course, it is always better to eliminate noise at its source.
However, I *very* strongly recommend using wideband receiver hardware,
followed by Linrad.  If you try it, you will never go back to an
old-style receiver for demanding weak-signal work.

	-- 73, Joe, K1JT