[Moon-net] QRS

Russ K2TXB k2txb at dxcc.com
Mon Nov 3 14:29:11 CET 2008

Thanks for your comments Sergio. It seems you mostly agree with me, sending
slow is mostly good when signals are very weak.  I think that is what I said
too.  But I do have one more point that perhaps I did not make clearly
before.  In a contest when conditions are usually good, and again talking
about 23 cm, the faster speeds work well for most contacts.  If one gets a
call from a very weak station, or calls one who is sending very slow, then
it is surely a good idea to slow down.  And if signals are weak it is much
better to use O/RO reports than to try to stay with RST.

Another thing; in contest when signals are good why make the exchanges so
long?  Sending calls at either the beginning or the end on a transmission is
usually sufficient and depending on conditions use a 2x2 or a 1x1 call set
instead of the more usual 3x3 or greater.  If signals are very good then
suspend calls entirely (except at start and sign off).  "RRR RRR GM GM 579
579 579 BK" will often suffice and allows both stations to finish more
quickly and see who else is on the band.

In schedules and out of the contest it becomes a whole different story.
Then there is no need for hurry, slow speed and timed transmissions are
useful and appropriate much of the time.

73, Russ K2TXB